Chaînés – Definition, Tips, Videos, etc
It has been one month since we started our Tuesday Terms series! How do you like it so far? How did you like last month’s articles Pas de Poisson, Changement, Frappé and Failli? Is there anything you’d like to see in the article that isn’t showing? Would you like me to continue doing this series? Please give me some feedback in the comments section!
Translation: To chain; series of connected movements.
- Chaînés is a common abbreviation for tours chaînés déboulés, which is a series of rapid turns (on pointe or demi-pointe) done most commonly in a straight line.
- This is a turning movement in which the dancer executes a half turn on each foot with progression along a straight line or circle.
Ballet Videos with Chaînés – Usually Chaînés turns are done several times in a row in a single direction and the turn is supposed to be snappy rather than smooth. Below are a few videos depicting this turn:
|Video showing Pique en dedans & Tour chaines||Instructional video on how to do Chaines turns||This video explains how to do a Chaine turn step by step|
Here are a few videos of Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty ballet showing coupe jete en tournant, pique, soutenu chaine combination:
|Paris Opera Ballet – Skip to 3:05 to see the Chaînés turns||Australian Ballet Company – Skip to 1:30 to see the Chaînés turns||Dutch National Ballet – Skip to 3:10 to see the Chaînés turns|
3 Tips on How to Improve your Chaînés – Chaînés turns are basic turns and are performed in almost every ballet combinations. Here are some tips and suggestions that might be helpful in improving these turns:
- While doing Chaînés, you should remain in first position releve, and make perfectly equal half turns all the way across the floor.
- When you begin the move, make sure that each time you make your half turn, one of your elbows is pointing directly at your spot.
- Keep your weight slightly forward and your chain slightly lifted.
Let me know if you have some tips of your own on how to perform Chaînés. Also it would be great to hear from you about your experiences with Chaînés!